Friday, November 10, 2006

Twisted Old Eucalyptus

Everyone, do yourselves a great favor and sample to buy the newest album Reprieve by the righteous babe herself: Ani DiFranco. I am particularly sad tonight because I missed her show in Boston this evening. However, I have her lyrics to keep me warm. She says things about humans, their lives and their rights. There are few singer/songwriters who speak with as much honesty as Ms. DiFranco. I think it behooves us to listen. She is poetic and beautiful and strong and pregnant... but more than anything she is real. Here is a taste of why I love her:


This is the cover of Reprieve. It is an artistic rendering of the picture below. This tree is special because it was photographed in Nagasaki days after the atomic bombing. To the photographer (Yamahata) and the many other viewers since 1945 the half-dead tree is symbolic for resilience and hope.


I have measured and found her wanting for nothing,
Erin

2 comments:

Holly Snyder Thompson said...

Oh, Ani...It is strange to think, I haven't listened to your dulcet voice since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful voice. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to. I burn, I pine, I perish.

erin said...

you can tame this shrew anytime.

mellifluous, for sure.