Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Baptism of a Foodie


I have been sanctified & bathed in the 'holy water' of artisan cheeses and fine foreign wines. A few days ago I got a little mis-directed coming home from Newton, Mass and came upon a cheese and speciality grocery store four blocks from my house. I knew right away that I had to take my mother there once she was in town. Well, Mother and I were on our way to buy some thanksgiving dinner items from Trader Joe's when I suggested we stop over for a little morsel of cheese from this random cheese shop. One should know that this little stop became a 2 hour voyage into the recesses of cheesedom and back again. Mom and I drank deep with delight as we meandered among intoxicating ripening aromas. We sampled expensive wines paired with olives and goat/cow/sheep cheeses - we were told by an excentric middle-aged connesuire of all things formaggio that the wine and cheese-cows were raised on the same earth, making them partners from their conception... seriously!? With or without the kookie wine taster we raised our glass high to a particular pairing of a semi-soft french cheese with a chardonnay from the hills of Champagne that turned sweet on our palates. Little to say, for all of you who love cheese and love me (equally or with partiality) you MUST come to Cambridge and be swept up into the fray of Formaggio Kitchen (http://formaggio-kitchen.com/index.php). Happy cows may come from California, but happy cheese comes from Cambridge, Mass.


This day I lived out the most wise words of my father: If it's free, take two.


Erin.

2 comments:

Holly Snyder Thompson said...

Yes, please. I'll have four of what she ordered.

Team Jones said...

its time for a pilgrimage