Friday, April 03, 2009

go east young man

last friday was a day of favorites.

favorite people.
favorite museum.
favorite drink from starbucks.
favorite bookstore.
favorite cookies.
favorite east-coast city.
favorite NGO.


we had a lovely afternoon last friday in d.c. before the IJM global prayer gathering {my favorite event of the year bar none}

we spent a few hours strolling through the national portrait gallery. yum. i could go on and on and on about how much love portraiture - painting, photography, sculpture, decoupage... i think it has something to do with people and how much i love people {being cooped up with an infant only confirms what i already knew about the severity of my extroversion}. so many tingles standing in front of a six foot face - so much face - no matter their expression you'll only get smiles from me.


official market portrait of em & me
03.27.09
brett arnold, photographer

{{i love everything about this picture - every single thing. }}

at the conclusion of our afternoon we went over to eastern market for some much needed refreshment - never underestimate the appetite one can work up while staring eye to eye with thomas jefferson. black & white cookies {contemplated bringing some back for our coming house guests the joneses who first turned me on to this particular brand of glory}, apple fritters {thank you ryan}, and red velvet cupcakes served us well. with only 20 minutes left on the meeter we had to visit the stacks & stacks of used books at my favorite bookstore in the universe - no question.

there are only a few things i know for sure about the afterlife, but this is one of them: there is a room in heaven that looks like this::


be assured, it was a very good day. joy was abundant.

going to read my used copy of jane eyre now.
erin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy you had a good day out!

OHHHH....and JE is my favorite book, I might have to snuggle into the couch with that one tonight, thanks for the inspiration!

Valerie

Tamelin :-) said...

I TOTALLY agree ... there IS a room like this in heaven and I'm counting on the fact that there's one with MY name on it. PERFECTION! I enjoyed this lovely day vicariously just reading your description. What a fun blog ... and what an adorable family you have. Take care & God bless! :-)