Wednesday, February 25, 2009

lent

i have been a christian for as long as i can remember. growing up in a mainstream run-of-the-mill somewhat-if-not-completely-and-sometimes-extremely-conservative non-denominationalish evangelical church (more on this to come - hizzah! to full disclosure) i never fully grasped lenten practices. perhaps they were too tied to a letergical way of showing one's faith ((which was out of fashion for the whole of the 90's in run-of-the-mill churches)) or perhaps i went into a daze whenever fasting came up in church (this is the most likely option - as i don't like pain and there was much of the non-religious to divert my attention during sunday school - read: friends and boys). ho.hum.

so, this year i want to take part in lent. i want to be a good steward of the time leading up to easter. i want to take part in the mourning season in preperation for the spring. and i want your help in figuring out what to do. but, before you get all foolhardy and make suggestions like: give up t.v. (yeah, right... i'm in the throws of a very torrid affair with the gilmore girls, don't mess - i'm nursing) or give up alcohol (a prerequisit to my lenten fast is that it not interfere with any social events - example:: you: "erin, why are you turning down the lovely overly salted margarita, you love super salty super taquillay margaritas??" me: {very piously} "oh, i've given up alcohol for lent" you: {internal monologue} "what a pious b****h turning down my super salty super taquillay marg. she thinks she's just so awesome." {out loud} "that's fine. good for you." ... you see what i mean, not a good way to go.). i want to give something up that would occur daily, but not otherwise motivated by weight-loss goals and would inevitably posture me towards easter. i'd actually love for the practice to be non-food related. all this to say, please share with me some of your ideas or past positive experiences of lent.

un-piously yours,
erin

oh, and since today was ash wednesday i was remembering a day in college when my besties and i decided to get smudged (not the offical term). this is what i recall: 1. our dress: two of the three of us wore overalls. {p.s. i heard they're coming back. hmm.} 2. the delicious adrenaline rush of the unfamiliar service - when do i get up? when do i sit down? how do i take communion? do i need to cross myself with holy water? ... delicious confusion 3. but, mostly i recall being in awe of how barren the church walls were in comparison to the last time i had visited, there was a sense of acknowledged emptiness and a longing to be filled - i guess that's what i want while i wait for ressurection sunday.

2 comments:

Holly Snyder Thompson said...

As I recall, that particular Ash Wednesday sojourn was a "research trip" for my religious anthropology class. I was so 20 years old.

The one truly "successful" lenten practice I had was giving up MTV my senior year in college. It actually had wonderful spiritual benefits for me. I loved it a little too much, and giving it up for Lent helped loosen its hold (to this day, I might add).

Anonymous said...

I have an idea of what to give up for lent. It could be a certain amount of time each day for something good, like prayer, reading the Bible, or doing some service for others.